Fat transfer, also known as fat grafting or fat injection, is a cosmetic procedure that involves removing excess fat from one area of the body and transferring it to another area that requires more volume or enhancement. This technique allows for the natural augmentation of various body regions, such as the face, breasts, buttocks, or hands. Fat transfer offers a safe and effective solution for individuals seeking to enhance their appearance by utilizing their own body fat.
"Dr. Petroff was the most humble, amazing doctor I have ever met. I would recommend him and his team to anyone looking to have a medical procedure done. I have never felt so comfortable with a medical team, where I knew from the beginning that this is the place I 100% want to have my surgery done at. Every single person I met there was friendly, organized, and very professional. He is an amazing doctor that has an incredible gift and he has a whole team that makes his practice so ideal."- K. / Healthgrades / Jul 20, 2018
"Professional, kind and caring. A very close group where people have worked together for years which I believe speaks volumes for the leadership."- C.L. / Google / Sep 13, 2023
"The nurses, support staff, and Dr. Petroff were amazing every step of the way, from my first appointment through surgery and beyond. Highly recommend The Petroff Center."- C.H. / Google / Sep 06, 2023
"Wonderful staff with amazing customer service!"- C.J. / Google / Aug 24, 2023
"Stunning results! Incredible experience! Painless facelift with amazing results. Best thing I’ve ever done. Thank you Dr Petroff and your amazing staff!"- D.E. / Google / Aug 22, 2023
- Consultation: Schedule an initial consultation with our team to discuss your desired goals and expectations. We will assess your medical history, examine the areas for fat removal and transfer, and determine your eligibility for the procedure.
- Medical Evaluation: Undergo a thorough medical evaluation to ensure you are in good health and suitable for the fat transfer procedure.
- Discussion and Planning: During your consultation, we will explain the procedure, alternatives, potential risks, and benefits. You will work together to develop a personalized treatment plan based on your specific needs and aesthetic goals.
- Pre-operative Instructions: Follow any specific instructions provided by your surgeon, which may include avoiding certain medications or supplements that can increase the risk of bleeding, quitting smoking, and arranging for a responsible adult to accompany you on the day of the procedure.
- Anesthesia: On the day of the procedure, you will be administered with appropriate anesthesia options, such as local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia, depending on the extent and location of fat transfer.
- Fat Harvesting: The surgeon will identify the donor site (typically an area with excess fat deposits like the abdomen, thighs, or hips) and make a small incision in that area. A specialized cannula (thin tube) is then inserted through the incision to gently suction out the excess fat. The fat removal process may utilize various techniques like manual liposuction, power-assisted liposuction, or ultrasound-assisted liposuction.
- Fat Processing: Once the fat is collected, it undergoes a purification process to remove any impurities, excess fluids, or damaged fat cells. The fat is carefully processed to obtain healthy and viable fat cells for transfer.
- Fat Injection: The prepared fat is then injected into the targeted areas that require volume enhancement or augmentation. The surgeon uses small, precise cannulas to deposit the fat cells in multiple layers, ensuring smooth and natural-looking results. The injection technique and amount of fat injected depend on the specific goals and the area being treated.
- Incision Closure: After the fat transfer is complete, the surgeon closes the incisions with sutures or surgical tape.
- Recovery and Post-operative Care: You will be provided with detailed instructions on how to care for the treated areas, including the use of dressings, medications, and follow-up appointments. It's important to follow the surgeon's recommendations for optimal healing and to minimize any potential complications.
- Results: Over time, the transferred fat cells establish a blood supply and integrate into the surrounding tissues, resulting in a fuller and rejuvenated appearance in the treated areas. The final results of fat transfer become more apparent as the swelling subsides and the healing process progresses, typically within a few weeks to a few months.
Plan Your Procedure
Is fat transfer a safe procedure?
Fat transfer is generally considered safe when performed by a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon. As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and complications, which will be discussed during your consultation. It's important to follow all pre and post-operative instructions for a safe and successful outcome.
How long do the results of fat transfer last?
The results of fat transfer can vary from person to person. Some of the transferred fat cells may not survive, but those that do establish a blood supply and become a permanent part of the treated area. However, factors such as weight fluctuations and aging can affect the long-term outcome. Maintaining a stable weight and adopting a healthy lifestyle can help preserve the results.
Is fat transfer painful?
Fat transfer is performed under anesthesia, so you should not feel any pain during the procedure. However, you may experience some discomfort, swelling, or bruising in the treated areas after the surgery. Your surgeon will prescribe appropriate pain medication to manage any post-operative discomfort.
What is the recovery period for fat transfer?
The recovery time can vary depending on the extent of the procedure and the areas treated. Typically, you can expect some swelling and bruising for the first few weeks. Most patients can resume normal activities within a week or two, but it's important to avoid strenuous exercise or activities that could impact the treated areas for a few weeks. Your surgeon will provide detailed post-operative instructions to help guide your recovery.
Are there any risks or complications associated with fat transfer?
As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and complications associated with fat transfer. These may include infection, bleeding, asymmetry, contour irregularities, scarring, or changes in sensation. Your surgeon will discuss these risks with you during the consultation and take necessary precautions to minimize them.
Can fat transfer be combined with other procedures?
Yes, fat transfer can often be combined with other cosmetic procedures to enhance overall results. Common combinations include facelift with fat transfer, breast augmentation with fat transfer, or body contouring procedures. Your surgeon will evaluate your individual goals and discuss the possibility of combining procedures to achieve your desired outcome.
Am I a suitable candidate for fat transfer?
Ideal candidates for fat transfer are in good overall health, have sufficient fat deposits in donor areas, and desire enhancement or augmentation in specific areas. During your consultation, the surgeon will assess your candidacy based on your medical history, physical examination, and discussion of your goals.